SE HABLA ESPANOL
THE JONES FIRM
Primary Practice Areas:
Business and Commercial Law
send an email
Regulated Company Representation, Telecommunications, Energy, and Utilities Law
Carol A. Clifford
Shareholder, Vice President, and Treasurer
Carol has represented businesses, large and small, in governance and operational matters, commercial transactions and litigation, regulatory proceedings before state and local agencies and governing bodies, asset acquisitions and real estate transactions.
For more than 20 years, Carol has appeared in rule makings, certifications and contested adjudications before the New Mexico Public Regulation Commission and other regulatory bodies related to telecommunications, electric power and water rights. Carol has handled complex appeals in the areas of water rights, property taxation and the regulation of utilities and telecommunications carriers.
Carol has appeared before or worked with local governing bodies in Bernalillo County, Santa Fe County, Rio Rancho, Albuquerque and Santa Fe in matters involving property taxation, franchise agreements and permitting.
NOTABLE CASE RESULTS
• Carol successfully represented TW Telecom of New Mexico, LLC, before the New Mexico Supreme Court in TW Telecom of New Mexico, LLC, v. N.M. Public Regulation Commission, 2011-NMSC-029 (2011), in which the Supreme Court set forth fundamental principles of procedural due process for administrative adjudications.
• Carol was part of the Jones Firm team representing Public Service Company of New Mexico before the New Mexico Supreme Court in State ex rel. Sandel v. N.M. Public Utility Commission, 1999-NMSC-19 (1999). The case established important principles of administrative law related to constitutional separation of powers and primary jurisdiction.
• Carol successfully represented the Doña Ana Mutual Domestic Water Consumers Association before the New Mexico Court of Appeals where another water utility alleged violations of the New Mexico Antitrust Act. Moongate Water Co., Inc. Doña Ana Mutual Domestic Water Consumers Ass’n, 2008-NMCA-143 (Ct. App. 2008).
OTHER RELEVANT EXPERIENCE
• Office of the Attorney General, Special Prosecutions Division, Assistant Attorney General, February 1991 to September 1992. Primary responsibility for prosecution of the Guadalupe Credit Union case resulting in convictions of three former officials, upheld on appeal. State v. Montoya, 1993-NMCA-097 (Ct. App. 1993) (cert. denied Oct. 13, 1993). Tried cases involving racketeering, fraud, embezzlement, and drug conspiracy. Conducted grand jury proceedings, including a homicide investigation.
• Carol served as a law clerk to the Honorable William Wayne Justice, deceased, formerly Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas (1988 to 1989).
MEMBERSHIPS & HONORS
• Martindale-Hubbell peer rating of AV Preeminent®
• Included in peer-selected The Best Lawyers in America survey in the areas of Energy Law (2009 to 2020) and Telecommunications Law (2013 to 2020).
• Yale University, B.A., Economics, cum laude, 1983
• New York University, J.D., May 1988
- Editor-in-Chief, New York University Review of Law and Social Change, 1987-1988
• United States Department of Justice, Washington, D.C.; Criminal Trial Advocacy, July 1991
© 2018 | JONES, SNEAD, WERTHEIM & CLIFFORD, P.A.